Friday, October 19, 2012

Шипка (Shipka)

My Peace Corps service ended almost two months ago. I've been traveling around Eastern Europe and the Caucasus trying to unwind and make sense of it while contemplating the next chapter in my life. I'll return to Bulgaria in a week or so to see friends and pack up for the return trip home. Between now and then, I'll be adding a few more photos and, hopefully, putting the finishing touches on this blog. This is the first of such posts.

Шипка (Shipka) is known for being located close to the Шипченски проход (Shipka Pass), site of a series of famous battles during the Russo-Turkish War in 1877 and 1878. It's also known for its church, the Memorial Temple of the Birth of Christ, whose golden domes can be seen for miles. Time constraints permitted only a visit to the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment