Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Велико Търново (Veliko Turnovo)

Eight months after my first visit, which was spoiled by a wicked combination of rain and food poisoning, I finally made my way back to Велико Търново (Veliko Turnovo). There may be more enjoyable Bulgarian towns to kill a few days, but I’ve yet to visit such places. In contrast with many Bulgarian towns, Veliko Turnovo is eye-catching, clean, and cultured. And without any pretense or stuffiness. With great views, great food, and great history, there is little about Veliko Turnovo not to like. Whether strolling down the cobblestone streets of old town popping in and out of the various shops tended by artists, artisans, and craftsmen, or sipping on a beer or glass of wine while soaking in the history of the place, or rambling around the ruins of the Tsarevets fortress, Veliko Turnovo is just one of those places which makes you feel happy to be alive.

On this trip, I focused on landscapes, mainly of or from Tsarevets. Next time, I will try to photograph the craftsmen, artists, and artisans busy at work in their shops.









No comments:

Post a Comment