Tuesday, June 8, 2010

At Day's End ...

There are certain sounds and smells which I’ll forever associate with Bulgaria and which I know I’ll miss when I’m gone. One such sound is the sound of bells ringing as shepherds and goat herders bring in their flocks and herds at day’s end. It’s a sound which rings through towns and villages throughout Bulgaria almost every spring, summer, and fall evening. It’s a sound I’m glad my brother and wife were able to hear.

First the folks gather at various spots around town, catch up on the latest gossip, and wait.


Then the shepherds bring home the sheep.


Bringing traffic to a halt as the streets fill with sheep looking for their owners and vice versa.




Then come the goats, as semis speed by overhead and cars pass carefully along the side.


Incredibly, all within 30 kilometers of the nation's capital.


No comments:

Post a Comment