Sunday, August 30, 2009

Home Sweet Home

It’s now been just over a month since I moved to my permanent site, or, better said, my home for the next two years. I know many of you are curious to know where I am living and what my standard of living is. Let’s just say I got very lucky. I am living less than 30 km from Sofia in a small town of less than 10,000 people, and I have the best of both worlds. Life here is peaceful and relatively slow-paced, and the people are friendly and welcoming. And Sofia, with all the perks and conveniences of a national capital and a city with a population of more than 1,000,000 people, is just a short bus-ride or train-ride away. And, unlike many of my fellow Peace Corps volunteers, who will be living in old communist block apartments, I am living in a simple one-story house at the back of the best garden in town. Most importantly, because of where I live, I essentially have a second host family who has been every bit as welcoming and generous as my host family in Boychinovtsi.

A view of the garden from the path leading away from my house.


A similar view on a nicer day a few weeks later.


A different area of the garden.


The path leading to my house through the garden.



This is our BBQ area. It's a wonderful place to spend an afternoon or evening enjoying company, food, and drink.



My living room/bedroom.



The kitchen.




The bathroom.


Yes, I do have a toilet. And it's inside my house. No more long walks late at night.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you to enjoy our world buddy. And I wish you the next two years to become unforgettable and beautiful moments in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope you get mice! you lucky man.

    ReplyDelete